8.20.2014

Vacation Chronicles #6

I'm on the plane to San Francisco. LA time has officially ended. Last night we went to a drag show at a gay bar at which I saw my only 2 celebrities of the whole trip. Jai Rodriguez from the Fab Five and Josh McKinkey from Project Runway. I didn't get to talk to Josh but I did get a picture with Jai! He was super nice... And also jet lagged from his trip to Sydney. 

I spent a lot of time on the beach yesterday and I have the obligatory patches of sunburn to prove it. Not enough to cause concern but more than enough to make me hot and uncomfortable. 

I finished The Silkworm and began American Gods as planned. I'm pleased with the way The Silkworm ended for sure. I love JK Rowling so much. She can do no harm in my eyes. So far, I'm liking American Gods as well. I have enjoyed all of the Doctor Who episodes that Neil Gaiman wrote and I love his blog post about George RR Martin so I was expecting to like his novels as well. I'm excited to finally read one so I can stop being a fake fan of his.  

I expect this trip to San Francisco to be 100% different than my LA experience. The juxtaposition of a few 20-somethings' lives in the heart of LA and a 60 year old retired rich guy in Napa Valley is almost comical. Lush, sophisticated dining will replace hole-in-the-wall Asian food gems. Convertibles will replace buses. Far-too-expensive glasses of wine will replace flasks... And I think that mix is really cool. (Or so I assume. For all I know my uncle will drop me off on a street corner and point me to the nearest McDonalds... Though I highly doubt that).

Shortest flight I've ever taken. We're already in the descent. 

No comments: