8.18.2014

Vacation Chronicles #5

almost forgot to write my chronicles this morning. The horror! My weekend with Blythe was great!! We got over the the Getty yesterday. It was absolutely amazing. I have never been to another art museum like it. We got a later start (for which I am not at all complaining) that put us there about mid-afternoon and we lamented a bit because we could have easily spent a few more hours there. 

We got to thoroughly peruse a James Ensor exhibit which was really great. He's so creepy and weird and it was awesome. It makes me want to draw more--as every good artist always does. One day, maybe I will. I just can't seem to force drawing into my routine--probably because my "routine" is ever-changing. I just signed up for a dance class on Tuesday nights until February. Anything I can do to keep busy and stave off feelings of loneliness and self-pity. Ironically, none of those "things to stave off loneliness and self pity" revolve around visual art. I don't think it's active enough to distract me from thinking... that's what I've decided. Hopefully the cats easily adjust to having fewer people around. I hope they will be happy...

I have a lot to do to get ready for this move. Coming home will be rough. Work and moving are going to instantly stress me out again upon my return. Knowing that makes it hard to relax now--while I am still on vacation. As Blythe and I were saying last night, I know intellectually that this is crazy but for some reason, I continue to fall into this panicky thought process. It feels like I am being continually beaten down by my own head.  I'm sure everyone feels this. Some people are better at dealing with it I think; or maybe they have sources of joy that are strong enough to offset the negative feelings. I don't know, because obviously I'm still working on this. 

Sitting here in an armchair in Blythe's living room swimming in my own thoughts is not doing me any good, though. I should at least put on a bathing suit, head down to the beach, and swim in my own thoughts there. At least I can work on a tan or do some people watching. I am so close to finishing The Silkworm. Perhaps I can finish it today and start American Gods. I wish there were more Cormoran Strike novels. I really enjoy them. Being JK Rowling books, I'm sure it's only a matter of time befor they're turned into movies. It'll give me a reason to reread them and then be disappointed by the outcome. The actors will then form the image of the characters in my mind while I read later books... Not the end of the world but it does change things a bit. Though I've realized lately that I don't usually put a face to characters when I'm reading. I'll put a body to them; and clothes; but I always have a very vague image of their face. This might be because I generally try to put myself in the shoes of the character--so I guess you wouldn't see your own face on a normal day, would you? I don't know. I just came to the staggering realization very recently that, despite being a visual artist who is fascinated by character creation, I tend to ignore the faces of characters in books. Odd, that's all. 

Here are a few pictures from the Getty...









No comments: